Senior Deputy Managing Editor
Location: London UK
Description:The jobholder is required to assist the Managing Editor to direct and oversee the editing and publication of their journal through the leadership of a team of first and final readers, ensuring operational adherence to the organisation’s working methods, procedures and systems..
- Leading a team consisting of first and/or final readers and the journal DME, including the provision of editorial and management support
- Evaluating the output of first and final readers, providing feedback on this output and preparing progress reports.
- Delivering one-to-one meetings with team members to provide support and discuss progress.
- Performing the first/second edit of articles, ensuring the production of a well written and consistent articles.
- Ensuring that team members are adequately trained, mentored and coached the required standard.
- Acting as final arbiter of production values for the journal, including overseeing consistency with the in-house style.
- When required, checking factual content and where necessary, raising queries with his/her Managing Editor.
- Confirming potential problems with plagiarism, animal ethics, patient consent and figure manipulation, and alerting the Senior Editor or Senior Executive Editor to potential issues.
- Additional tasks such as peer reviews if required.
- Deputising for Managing Editor in their absence.
Experience, Education, qualifications, knowledge:
- A degree in the biological sciences.
- Final reading experience.
- The ability to demonstrate how to manage a team of scientific editors .
- The capability to lead and motivate teams.
- The ability to maintain a level of scientific knowledge appropriate to the role.
- PhD in the biological sciences.
- The ability to manage high quality work within the team whilst driving deadlines..
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Mac OS.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication.
- Motivated and resourceful
- Professional and Approachable
- Takes a pride in a job done well
- Enjoys working within, and across, teams
- The capacity to lead and motivate teams
- A credible and persuasive interpersonal style in order to build and maintain excellent relationships with team members and other colleagues
- The capacity to maintain personal equilibrium when faced with a range of issues requiring urgent attention.
Please send your CV and a cover letter, stating salary expectations and quoting the job reference (SP/SDME/SP) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spandidos Publications offers a competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, 35 hour working week, flexible working from home, contributory pension scheme, private health insurance, discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, weekly fresh fruits, an employee support programme and season ticket loan depending on conditions.
Date Posted: 2019-07-18