Open Access

Population‑based prostate‑specific antigen screening for prostate cancer may have an indirect effect on early detection through opportunistic testing in Kusatsu City, Shiga, Japan

  • Authors:
    • Susumu Kageyama
    • Yuki Okinaka
    • Koji Nishizawa
    • Toru Yoshida
    • Satoshi Ishitoya
    • Yasumasa Shichiri
    • Chul Jang Kim
    • Tsuyoshi Iwata
    • Ryusei Yokokawa
    • Yutaka Arai
    • Zenkai Nishikawa
    • Hiroki Soga
    • Hiroshi Ushida
    • Yuji Sakano
    • Yoshio Naya
    • Akinori Wada
    • Masayuki Nagasawa
    • Tetsuya Yoshida
    • Mitsuhiro Narita
    • Akihiro Kawauchi
  • View Affiliations

  • Published online on: November 23, 2022     https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2022.2599
  • Article Number: 3
  • Copyright: © Kageyama et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License.

Metrics: Total Views: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )
Total PDF Downloads: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )


Abstract

Prostate cancer is the most common genitourinary cancer in men. Population‑based serum prostate‑specific antigen (PSA) testing is used to screen men for the early detection of asymptomatic prostate cancer. The present study compared the features of patients with prostate cancer in Kusatsu City, the only municipality in Shiga Prefecture of Japan to implement organized PSA screening, with those in other municipalities. The target population for organized PSA screening by mail invitation was men ≥50 years. Patients were pathologically diagnosed via prostate biopsy because of elevated serum PSA. This multicenter observational study was subsequently conducted in 14 hospitals. The following information was extracted from patient records: age, reason for PSA testing, initial PSA level, Gleason score, clinical stage, and place of residence. Risk classification was defined as low, intermediate, high, and advanced. Each patient was stratified according to their city/town. A total of 984 patients diagnosed with prostate cancer in Shiga in 2012 and 2017 were analyzed, of which 955 (97%) were opportunistically tested, with the remaining 29 (3%) assessed by organized screening. In Kusatsu, 93 patients were diagnosed, of whom 26 (28%) were detected by organized screening. By contrast, only three of 891 patients (0.3%) were detected by organized screening in other municipalities. Of patients in Kusatsu, cases identified by opportunistic testing had a higher initial PSA value (P=0.010) than those identified by organized screening. However, patients detected through opportunistic testing in Kusatsu City were younger (P=0.034), had a lower PSA value (P=0.001), and improved risk classification (P<0.001) than those in other municipalities. It was concluded that more patients were diagnosed with early‑stage cancer by organized PSA screening. Furthermore, population‑based PSA screening in Kusatsu City may have indirectly affected early detection, even by opportunistic testing.

Related Articles

Journal Cover

January-2023
Volume 18 Issue 1

Print ISSN: 2049-9450
Online ISSN:2049-9469

Sign up for eToc alerts

Recommend to Library

Copy and paste a formatted citation
x
Spandidos Publications style
Kageyama S, Okinaka Y, Nishizawa K, Yoshida T, Ishitoya S, Shichiri Y, Kim CJ, Iwata T, Yokokawa R, Arai Y, Arai Y, et al: Population‑based prostate‑specific antigen screening for prostate cancer may have an indirect effect on early detection through opportunistic testing in Kusatsu City, Shiga, Japan. Mol Clin Oncol 18: 3, 2023
APA
Kageyama, S., Okinaka, Y., Nishizawa, K., Yoshida, T., Ishitoya, S., Shichiri, Y. ... Kawauchi, A. (2023). Population‑based prostate‑specific antigen screening for prostate cancer may have an indirect effect on early detection through opportunistic testing in Kusatsu City, Shiga, Japan. Molecular and Clinical Oncology, 18, 3. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2022.2599
MLA
Kageyama, S., Okinaka, Y., Nishizawa, K., Yoshida, T., Ishitoya, S., Shichiri, Y., Kim, C. J., Iwata, T., Yokokawa, R., Arai, Y., Nishikawa, Z., Soga, H., Ushida, H., Sakano, Y., Naya, Y., Wada, A., Nagasawa, M., Yoshida, T., Narita, M., Kawauchi, A."Population‑based prostate‑specific antigen screening for prostate cancer may have an indirect effect on early detection through opportunistic testing in Kusatsu City, Shiga, Japan". Molecular and Clinical Oncology 18.1 (2023): 3.
Chicago
Kageyama, S., Okinaka, Y., Nishizawa, K., Yoshida, T., Ishitoya, S., Shichiri, Y., Kim, C. J., Iwata, T., Yokokawa, R., Arai, Y., Nishikawa, Z., Soga, H., Ushida, H., Sakano, Y., Naya, Y., Wada, A., Nagasawa, M., Yoshida, T., Narita, M., Kawauchi, A."Population‑based prostate‑specific antigen screening for prostate cancer may have an indirect effect on early detection through opportunistic testing in Kusatsu City, Shiga, Japan". Molecular and Clinical Oncology 18, no. 1 (2023): 3. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2022.2599