Open Access

Genomic DNA methylation profiling indicates immune response following thermal ablation treatment for HBV‑associated hepatocellular carcinoma

  • Authors:
    • Yanan Zhao
    • Kang Li
    • Jianping Sun
    • Ning He
    • Peng Zhao
    • Chaoran Zang
    • Xiaozhen Yang
    • Caixia Hu
    • Jiang Long
    • Honghai Zhang
    • Qi Wang
    • Yan Zhao
    • Yonghong Zhang
  • View Affiliations

  • Published online on: May 18, 2020     https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2020.11636
  • Pages: 677-684
  • Copyright: © Zhao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License.

Metrics: Total Views: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )
Total PDF Downloads: 0 (Spandidos Publications: | PMC Statistics: )


Abstract

Hepatitis B virus (HBV)‑associated hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the most common type of liver cancer in China. Thermal ablation is one of the main strategies for HCC treatment. However, few studies have investigated the properties of the immune response following thermal ablation thus far. In the present study, five subjects with HBV‑associated HCC were recruited from The Beijing You'an Hospital. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) were collected at three time points: Prior to thermal ablation (PR), 1‑3 days post‑ablation (P1) and 5‑7 days post‑ablation (P7). An Illumina 850K methylation microarray was employed to determine the DNA methylation profile of each sample. Data were analyzed using different methylation probes with the Bioconductor package in R. Following annotation of different methylation CG sites (CGs), the associated genes were subjected to an Ingenuity Pathway Analysis. A total of 3,000 significantly different CGs (adjusted P<0.05; |log(fold‑change)|>0.5) were identified within the PR, P1 and P7 time points. Of these, 744 (24.8%) sites increased between the PR and P1 time points but gradually decreased at the P7 time point. The remaining 2,256 (75.2%) sites decreased between the PR and P1 time points gradually increased at the P7 time point. Following gene annotation of different CGs on the promoter, signaling pathways analysis demonstrated that ‘p70S6K signaling’, ‘CXCR4 signaling’, ‘dendritic cell maturation’, ‘production of nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species in macrophages’ pathways were activated at the P7 time point. The present study suggested that PBMC DNA methylation had changed soon after thermal ablation for subjects with HBV‑associated HCC, and systemic immune responses were activated, particularly at the P7 time point.

Related Articles

Journal Cover

July 2020
Volume 20 Issue 1

Print ISSN: 1792-1074
Online ISSN:1792-1082

Sign up for eToc alerts

Recommend to Library

Copy and paste a formatted citation
x
APA
Zhao, Y., Li, K., Sun, J., He, N., Zhao, P., Zang, C. ... Zhang, Y. (2020). Genomic DNA methylation profiling indicates immune response following thermal ablation treatment for HBV‑associated hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncology Letters, 20, 677-684. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2020.11636
MLA
Zhao, Y., Li, K., Sun, J., He, N., Zhao, P., Zang, C., Yang, X., Hu, C., Long, J., Zhang, H., Wang, Q., Zhao, Y., Zhang, Y."Genomic DNA methylation profiling indicates immune response following thermal ablation treatment for HBV‑associated hepatocellular carcinoma". Oncology Letters 20.1 (2020): 677-684.
Chicago
Zhao, Y., Li, K., Sun, J., He, N., Zhao, P., Zang, C., Yang, X., Hu, C., Long, J., Zhang, H., Wang, Q., Zhao, Y., Zhang, Y."Genomic DNA methylation profiling indicates immune response following thermal ablation treatment for HBV‑associated hepatocellular carcinoma". Oncology Letters 20, no. 1 (2020): 677-684. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2020.11636